Castor oil packs can be an easy and effective way to improve your health. Castor oil packs are arguably one of the longest-standing health hacks in history (ask your medical provider, of course.) The ones we love are available through Queen of Thrones (a female-owned small business, which we receive an affiliate commission from) get them here.
How Castor Oil Packs Can Benefit Your Health*
- Stimulates your lymphatic system—helps it flow. Lymphatic is the sewer of the body.
- Assists body in helping your body to detox.
- While it likely originated in India, it has been used since ancient times in Egypt.
- Absorbs into tissues—heat drives it deeper.
- Stimulates production of lymphocytes.
- Boost the immune system.
- Liver drains into colon.
- Improves bowel movements.
- Reduces acne and stretch marks.
- Heals inflammation.
- Joint pain reduction—compounds inside reduce neurogenic inflammation.
- Decreases free radicals.
- Helps blood flow.
- It is a triglyceride.
- Rare compound—helps you burn fat.
- Can help break down fibroids.
- Improves digestion—stimulates the liver to produce and excrete bile, then stimulates your gallbladder which stores bile.
- Helps relieve constipation.
*All of the above statements are not from any specific study, but an accumulation of conversations, courses, research, etc., from our I-ACT Certified Colon Hydrotherapist and Advanced Lymphatic Specialist (double certified in the Vodder method, advanced certification in postoperative Manual Lymphatic Drainage, and an RN). Much of this is also from our team’s personal experience, including RNs and NPs.
The Use of Castor Oil for Improved Health is Not New
Castor Oil packs are not necessarily a new option for those wanting to help cleanse their colon, keep their lymphatic system healthy, and detox their liver, but they are gaining interest in the wellness space—in our opinion for very good reason. Castor oil has been used for centuries to assist the body in healing, so let’s catch up!
Yes, those benefits are powerful, but not just because of the benefits directly but because of what a cleansed colon, flowing lymph, and a detoxed liver means for your overall health. These are touchstones of overall wellness.
Quickly and directly those using castor oil packs may likely experience improved stools (ease and efficiency), deeper higher quality sleep, and less stress. Many believe that stress is processed in the liver, so if you are helping your liver detox, then you may experience a reduction in stress. We all know how life feels better when digestion is flowing—our mood is improved, and there’s often less bloat and pain. When the lymphatic system is unclogged, our immune system is strong and ready, toxins are properly leaving the body, and again, we are less puffy and fatigued. All of this can contribute to a balanced body, a state of homeostasis, healthy hormone levels, etc.
Going a bit deeper, castor oil packs support your liver in decongesting and moving out toxins released from other systems to the liver for processing.
Using organic castor oil (stored in a glass bottle) is critical for getting the results you desire AND to ensure you aren’t doing more harm since your skin is absorbing this quickly. We carry this in our clinic, or purchase it here.
The internet will tell you that cloth and plastic wrap and a heating pad will do, but we very much suggest taking the Queen of Thrones approach to ensure you aren’t exposing your body to more unnecessary compounds or creating a mess (castor oil stains!). Heating plastic and/or overheating oil can create all sorts of unchecked chemical responses to the materials that your body is in contact with—let’s skip that unnecessary strain on the body.
When asked, “can I just take castor oil capsules or apply the oil like massage oil?” Queen of Thrones, responds: “The gentle pressure due to the unique Queen of Thrones Castor Oil Pack design acts like a pump for the lymphatic drainage system, and the soft materials of the compress stimulate skin receptors and somatic-visceral reflexes that shift you from the stressed state to the rest and digest state, where the body natural detoxes and cleanses.”
The rest of the steps, once you have your wrap, are pretty simple:
- Decide where you are using the pack: liver, abdomen, etc.
- Apply 2 tbsp of Organic castor oil
- Wrap yourself up in the cozy wrap
- Apply heating pad (optional)
- You can sleep with the wrap on, but if you feel hesitant, start with a few hours and build up
- Be drinking lots of water (optional electrolytes and trace minerals like Zuma Minterals, available in the clinic) to help facilitate the detox process.
- Use fresh castor oil each application and replace your pack every three months.
Castor Oil Health Benefits
- Highly antioxidative due to concentration of vitamin E and other polyphenols
- Anti-inflammatory (reduces the mucus that creates/defines inflammation)
- Reduces pain courtesy of omega fatty acids
- Stimulates peristalsis (aka the movement of colon “muscles” that facilitate pooping)
- Nitric oxide stimulates circulation/blood flow to the area
- Reduces biofilm which supports and balances the microbiome which is arguably a critical part of not just digestion, but mental/emotional health, too. The gut-brain connection is under much study right now and likely most of us have experienced the highs and lows of digestive woes and the beyond-physical effects of not going enough or going too much.
- Supports glutathione production in the liver. Glutathione is considered the master detoxificant.
Other Tips on Castor Oil Use
The Queen of Thrones Blog and FAQ sections have loads of important resources to explore, but a few that we love are below:
- Castor oil promotes hair growth—in places where hair follicles already exist—so add a dab to your brows and lashes.
- Unclogs eye styes and supports spleen qi deficiency.
- Use during a cleanse, like Prolon, or a weight loss protocol to avoid some of the detox symptoms that can occur.
- Use consistently, but especially during PMS to reduce painful periods, cramps, etc. Most likely you’ll want to avoid during the actual menstruation due to an increase in blood flow that can be slightly counterproductive to the bleed but this of course depends on your blood flow and unique experience.
- Come in for a colonic! During a VIVA Wellness Colonic, you’ll experience a CASTOR OIL TREATMENT. In this session, high-quality, organic castor oil is massaged in the abdomen with a layer of warm cloth and then tucked under a heating pad that you are snuggled up with the whole session. This stimulates your colon to relax and release more effectively. Experiencing a castor oil treatment during a colonic not only helps your colon, but it stimulates your liver to expel excess bile through the colon, so it’s basically a two-for-one detox experience!
- Come in for a Lymphatic Drainage Treatment. You’ll get the lymphatic system moving and have access to our knowledgeable specialists who can weigh in on whether Castor Oil Packs are right for you.
Read more on the QUEEN OF THRONES BLOG.
Who is Castor Oil Pack NOT good for?
There may be some folks who this is not a good fit for, and ultimately this is for you and your medical provider to determine.
Please keep in mind that VIVA Wellness doesn’t try to exaggerate results, but we do love celebrating our clients’ wins! Everybody is different and so individual results may vary. Testimonials are not claimed to represent typical results. Any images or anecdotes we share are from real customers, but just like all things in life, there are no guarantees—not every person will achieve the same or similar results to any product or service. Reading our words, viewing our images, and taking action on anything you see or read is at your own discretion. Social media, blogs, and newsletters are not substitutes for medical advice. Please consult a healthcare professional before beginning any exercise or diet program. Hey, we have those on staff, book a consult!