Compounded Semaglutide FAQs
VIVA Wellness clients in Brookfield, Waukesha, the Oconomowoc Lake Country, and the Milwaukee Metro area have achieved great success through our compounded semaglutide protocol. We're excited to bring this powerful tool to many more clients struggling with their weight change goals.
Compounded Semaglutide FAQs
We want you to be completely comfortable and informed, so we welcome questions during your consultation. Many of our patients ask similar questions, which we address below. We may prescribe Wegovy, Ozempic, Rybelsus, or compounded semaglutide, depending on your situation. We find it essential to administer any medications under the care and supervision of a medical professional, such as our Nurse Practitioners, who can closely monitor your experience and your body's reaction. This involves a robust protocol that ensures you feel good, mitigates side effects, and addresses any health concerns as you go!
If you have further questions, don't hesitate to book your weight loss consultation with our Nurse Practitioners and discuss your concerns.
Ozempic and Wegovy are the branded names of semaglutide injections. Semaglutide is in a class of drugs called GLP-1 agonists. These GLP-1 injections are FDA-approved for Type 2 Diabetes and are used to lower blood sugar. Most people recognize these drugs as weight loss medications.
The brand name Wegovy has been approved for weight loss, so it has been used for weight management in patients who meet certain criteria, including a body mass index above 30. Some of our clients at VIVA are prescribed a generic form of compounded semaglutide formulated at a trusted compounding pharmacy.
Rybelsus is another diabetes medication that comes in the form of an oral tablet. It also includes semaglutide, but we have found may be a bit less effective and causes additional GI side effects in many of our patients.
The length of each protocol varies by weight loss goal, health, ability to adhere to the protocol, and other factors. You could be on it for as few as three months, which is the minimum we prescribe at VIVA Wellness. It's also possible that you remain on the protocol until you reach your goal weight or are able to maintain it without a drastic diet and exercise regimen. This may take longer but will result in lasting chronic weight management and be more comfortable than trying to rush the wellness process.
Our method at VIVA Wellness includes consideration of the key components for safety and success—side effect management, responsible dosing, and oversight by a healthcare provider.
We know that there will be a period of time when your body adjusts to the medication. Care from your Nurse Practitioner during this period is critical to ensuring quality of life. If you feel terrible, your program isn't working and needs to be changed. How you tolerate the medication can offer us insight into overall toxicity levels, metabolic health, mental/emotional health, and other pieces of your whole-body wellness.
We hope you choose to gain support through our team of Nurse Practitioners with extensive histories in weight loss, mental health, and critical care. We do everything we can to ensure that you are supported, thriving, and successful in your journey. If compounded semaglutide ends up not being the right fit for you, there are other weight loss medications and limitless other approaches we can take to find your perfect program.
Compounded semaglutide works by mimicking an incretin hormone called glucagon-like peptide-1 (GLP-1), which targets areas of the brain that regulate appetite and food intake. It also:
- Enhances insulin secretion from the pancreas
- Regulates blood sugar. Often food cravings or excess hunger are due to sugar spikes or unpredictable blood sugar.
- Reduces the release of glucagon from the liver. This prevents your liver from making and releasing too much sugar.
- Delays food leaving your stomach so you feel fuller faster and longer.
With a diabetes medication containing semaglutide, you likely will need to eat less to feel satisfied. The caloric deficit means that your body utilizes your own fuel instead of just forever in the glucose cycle. Additionally, many find that obsessive food thoughts and physical or mental cravings, often inspired by blood sugar dysregulation, become less frequent if they occur at all.
Your body runs the show, so there's no way to guarantee any sort of exact weight change. Some see minimal change in the beginning as we slowly introduce the medication, while some will see immediate results. If you commit fully to your customized VIVA Wellness Weight Change Protocol that includes whole system care (beyond the already powerful compounded semaglutide protocol), you will likely expect to see faster fat and toxin release, as well as decreased side effects. Again, no two bodies are alike, no results are guaranteed, and you'll need to determine which weight loss plans are best for your unique health situation.
Compounded semaglutide isn't just for extreme cases as an alternative to bariatric surgery. There are a lot of factors at play, but there are many cases where compounded semaglutide would be appropriate for small reductions in body weight.
Your VIVA Wellness NP will look at what you've tried in the past, your story, and your overall level of health. There is a strong possibility that this could be your game-changer, as it's often successful for people who have not been able to achieve weight loss success with other protocols. There is no minimum or maximum amount of desired weight loss that "qualifies" an individual for the drug, but rather it depends on health history and goals.
We value compounded semaglutide's ability to slow or stop the mental chatter and obsession with food that fuels your struggle with weight. That alone could decrease the stress that is signaling your body's retention of excess weight. Take a look at this article for more tools that may also help with your last 10-15 pound weight loss.
Because this medication is changing multiple processes throughout the body, it would be surprising if you did not experience any side effects. The side effects will vary by individual, and if experienced, these do usually decline with time as the body adjusts. Some people experience:
- abdominal pain
This is why having a NP-managed program, including frequent check-ins and dose monitoring (including administration of the injections), can improve how you feel as you receive compounded semaglutide. This will ultimately affect the results you experience.
You define what success means to you, but in most cases, yes!
While we recommend healthy eating to help you feel better and support your body adjusting to the medication, compounded semaglutide is so effective because it doesn't require massive lifestyle changes.
We always suggest aiming to eat healthfully and move your body—as they are critical components of a healthy lifestyle which is a pillar of weight release, with or without medical weight loss interventions.
Your NP will help you understand the right foods that support your goals. Your VIVA Wellness team may also suggest physical activity because many other physiological processes are catalyzed through movement.
You may also read our recent article Is the compounded semaglutide injection right for you?
Your NP consultation will determine if you are a fit for our compounded semaglutide protocol.
You can read about specific conditions that stop you from being a good candidate here.
Whether you want to start compounded semaglutide or any weight loss or lifestyle wellness change, we have many ideas for you. Your NP can help you come up with a plan to begin, but a few ideas include:
Anything that will facilitate detox and support your liver is helpful during your treatment. While this information is related to cellular detox in terms of a specific fat loss protocol, it helps you understand how fat cells, detox, and various body systems work together. We highly recommend you take some time to read our beliefs about fat loss. Here are some possible recommendations:
- Colonics for constipation.
- Lymphatic Drainage. These treatments are incredibly supportive of metabolism and your body's ability to move toxins. Your lymphatic system is responsible for many processes. When it is overburdened, the good work you are doing with your protocol may be slowed. Lymphatic Drainage treatments can help your body process what it releases during fat loss.
- Castor Oil packs. This supports your liver in decongesting and moving out toxins released from other systems to the liver. Be sure to choose clean, organic Castor Oil (we carry this in the clinic, or you can purchase castor oil packs online at Queen of The Thrones®).
- Movement. There is no shortage of evidence that the body benefits from physical activity. The best type of movement for your body is the movement you enjoy and are consistent with. Movement is so much more than just about burning calories—it lowers stress, boosts lymphatic movement, improves mood, builds muscle, and more.
- Breathing. Deep belly breathing aids many processes in the body, including lowered stress. This is where healing can happen. A big part of weight gain is due to your body's reaction to stress, and breath is proven to positively influence stress response.
- Prolon. This 5-day fast mimicking protocol is an excellent idea if you are someone who traditionally struggles with a large appetite. This is also a great way for your system to focus on the healing that’s being done vs. digesting, as the foods are specifically chosen to move your body into a healing state without deprivation.
Your custom protocol may include:
- Compounded semaglutide injected subcutaneously into the fat of the abdomen, arm, or thigh with a small insulin syringe
- Anti-nausea Intramuscular (IM) injection
- Digestion & metabolism support oral supplements
- Digestion & metabolic support IM injection
- NP check-in, accountability, and support
Because insurance is sometimes a factor among other variables, it is best to contact us to learn the cost of your program. Your protocol also includes discounts on other VIVA Wellness services that benefit your weight loss experience. This information is available during your initial weight loss consultation—book here.
Get well with VIVA Wellness
If you have other questions that weren't addressed here, please book a consultation at our Brookfield VIVA Wellness clinic to speak with one of our knowledgeable healthcare professionals. Whether or not a compounded semaglutide protocol is right for you, we are confident that we'll find a way to help you feel better than ever before!
We do get a large volume of phone calls daily. If you get our voicemail, please leave a message and we'll get back to you as quickly as possible. You may also send a text message or complete our contact form.